Adequate lubrication is essential for a long engine life. By failing to check the oil levelregularly, you run the risk of serious damage to your car. Furthermore, you might cause an accident as the engine could explode on the motorway.
Engine oil in an overview
That's why it is so important:
- Engine oil has several functions.
- Its main task is lubrication. Particularly the moving parts need protection against mechanic friction.
- Cooling is another oil function. Coolant cannot be applied everywhere.
- Other oil properties are rust protection and absorbing dirt particles.
The meaning of the peculiar specifications
- Engine oil specifications are determined by the Society of Automotive Engineers and refer to the oil viscosity grade at different temperatures.
- Engine oil for the car is multi-grade oil with a grading for low temperature viscosity (e.g. 5W) as well as for viscosity at high temperature (SAE 40).
- The combination is the specification on the oil: SAE 5W-40.
Synthetic or mineral?
- As a rule, synthetic engine oil is always superior to mineral oil as a product of more sophisticated processing. Similar to building with a construction kit, good properties are added and bad ones omitted.
- Mineral oil is cheaper in production. Additives can enhance its performance, at the same time causing a shorter life span. Frequent oil change is necessary.
Can I drive longer with long-life oil?
- Long-life-oil enables longer change intervals. However, other components such as the oil filter, gaskets and further materials might not be adapted to this. Furthermore, the use of long-life-oil requires a special configuration of the control unit and therefore its use is only recommended in registered car models. If this condition is met, the usage period of this oil can be twice as long.
CASTROL engine oil for every use
CASTROL calls its oil "liquid engineering", investing plenty of time in the development of new manufacturing processes and research on the individual molecule properties. Especially in racing, the manufacturer has established its name, although additionally, engine oil for the regular user is on offer with its versions CASTROL EDGE, CASTROL MAGNATEC and CASTROL GTX:
- ASTROL GTX is a multifunctional multi-grade oil, suitable for all uses, particularly preventing the black oil slurry caused by deposits. Additives have been added to its variant "High Mileage" for additional protection and longevity of high-mileage engines.
- CASTROL MAGNATEC was developed for reducing wear developing during the engine's critical warming-up phase. 75% of all wear occurs in this phase, making special protection a priority. CASTROL MAGNATEC STOP-START is a specific product for start-stop systems.
- CASTROL EDGE TITANIUM is the most powerful oil in the assortment. Even under extreme circumstances its lubrication film does not disintegrate, preventing up to 45% of the wear by metal-on-metal friction. It additionally reduces friction loss in engines with high average pressure, causes fuel economy as well as lower exhaust values.
There's oil and there's oil
Although many engine oils have the same label, the difference between cheap mineral oil without additives on one hand and synthetic oil developed and mixed with care and refinement on the other hand is considerable and can mean a considerable postponement of material fatigue and extension of the engine's life span, although this comes at a price. Count on 15 EUR (± £13) per litre for premium products like these. If you wish to convince yourself of the quality and durability of CASTROL engine oil but not necessarily want to pay the high prices, take a look in our shop. We offer CASTROL EDGE products at permanent cheap prices, ranging considerably under the price recommendation of the manufacturer.